After 10 weeks of scouting for information on green businesses around the world, the pilot program Scouting for Green came to a close. The goal of the pilot was to work with volunteer scouters in different locations to recruit green businesses onto The Ground_Up Project platform. In doing so, we wanted to understand the challenges of data gathering and validation.
Here are a few takeaways:
Learning about green business is a global interest
Volunteer scouters signed up from 14 different countries and many different professional backgrounds. They believe business has a responsibility to the planet and the power to make a positive impact to stop climate change. Here are some of the things they said:
- “I am interested to get more knowledge about the green economy in my surroundings” – volunteer from Lithuania
- “Green enterprises… have an important role to play in creating a sustainable future for people” – volunteer from India
- “I want to help identify what it is that businesses are doing correctly to help the environment, so we can make an example of them and show others what they can do too.” – volunteer from USA
- “[…] a number of innovative green business are emerging, sometimes succeed and many times disappear for lack of funding or exposure. I am highly interested in voluntarily contributing to their success.” – volunteer from Canada
Scouting for green businesses is hard!
Finding, reaching out to and convincing these businesses to share their work with The Ground_Up Project is no small feat. It takes a lot of perseverance and time is a precious commodity when one volunteers. Weekly discussion calls were held to discuss the challenges faced by volunteers and get support from other scouters.
Here are some proposals made by scouters and staff that will be implemented in the next editions:
- Use a buddy system and pair scouters up to work together and support each other
- Create a “how to” guide to reach out to businesses
- Host a pitch workshop to practice pitching to businesses, and
- Keep a progress board so all can see what everyone has accomplished.
It’s all in the incentive
Green entrepreneurs are busy people; they are on a mission to grow their business and make a positive impact in the world. They need resources, technologies, access to market and financing to succeed in their endeavors.
The Ground_Up Project platform was precisely designed to connect green entrepreneurs to the resources they need. The Value Compass tool analyses the information provided, in order to match with what investors are looking for, within their risk and reward preferences.
Connecting with scouters on-the-ground has a clear potential to expand even further the universe of companies on The Ground_Up Project platform, as demonstrated by the new green entrepreneur hubs that were connected during this pilot.
|Testimony from volunteer scouter Alec Balasescu
I think Scouting for Green is a journey that barely started, in a territory that is both promising and challenging. It was a perfect setting to start to know The Ground_Up Project team, and to link to people whose concerns are similar to mine. The future is, most probably, green.
We would like to thank all volunteers for their contributions and insights. We will continue to explore and implement as we learn in the Ground_Up Project platform. If you would like to be involved in future Scouting for Green editions or know someone who would enjoy participating, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.